Chart of Accounts
Purpose of the Chart of Accounts
Chart of Accounts Design
- The COA as found in ADempiere is in the form of an excel spreadsheet where users can adapt to their own format.
- It can then be saved as a comma separated value file or accting.csv and imported into ADempiere.
- Daniel Norin has created a nice COA Editor to access that csv file to change or create a new COA without looking at the excel file.
- The COA follows accounting classifications underlying General Accepted Principles of Accounting (GAAP) in practice throughout the world.
Summary List of COA
- Here we lay out the general structure of the COA by displaying only the top level summary elements.
|Account Value||Account Name||Account Type|
|3||Owner's Equity/Net Worth||Owner's Equity|
|5||Cost of Goods Sold||Expense|
Te fields below are from the I_ElementValue table. I_* tables provide a 'staging area' for importing data before this data is tested against business rules and if found to be conforming to these rules, is imported in to the C_ElementValue table. These tables describe 'element values' which might otherwise be described as the members of the element dimension - and most notably the Accounts dimension known to accountants as the chart of accounts.
Column | Desc i_elementvalue_id | ID for import processing ad_client_id | Client ID ad_org_id | Organisation ID isactive | Is Active flag createdby | Adempiere core field created | Adempiere core field updated | Adempiere core field updatedby | Adempiere core field i_isimported | Flag for import processing i_errormsg | Error message if import failed c_element_id | Element ID - see c_element elementname | Element Name c_elementvalue_id | Internal Element ID value | Account "Natural" code name | Account Name description | Account description accounttype | Account classification - A = Asset, L = Liability, E = Expense, R = Revenue, O = Owners Equity, M = Memorandum accountsign | Indicates the Natural Sign of the Account as a Debit or Credit isdoccontrolled | If the account is document controlled, users are unable to post directly to the account (you must post documents and they post to the account) issummary | If the account is a summary account then it is a header / total of the children accounts parentvalue | Key of the Parent parentelementvalue_id | The parent (summary) account - Parent node reference postactual | Is the user allowed to post actual values? (Y/N) postbudget | Is the user allowed to post budget values? (Y/N) poststatistical | Is the user allowed to post statistical values? (Y/N) postencumbrance | Is the user allowed to post commitments / encumbrance values? (Y/N) default_account | Name of the Default Account Column ad_column_id | Column in the table processing | Flags for import processing processed | Flags for import processing
COA Import File
The COA import file is a file provided to assist end users in importing their chart of accounts. The data contained in the spreadsheet is imported in to the I_ElementValue table and once validated, this is imported in to the C_ElementValue table where is is accessible via the element tree editor. The spreadsheet includes a number of fields to assist with the creation of report dimensions.
- Account value - unique ID of the account
- Account name - short name of the account
- Account description - a description of the account
- Account type - type of the entries written to this account (Asset/Liability/Owner's Equity/Expense/Revenue/Memo)
- Account sign - Natural(+/-)/Debit(-)/Credit(+)
- Document controlled - if yes, then it is not possible to post manually to this account
- Summary account - No entries can be posted to this account, this is a summary of the subaccounts. All entries have to be submitted to the subaccounts
- Default account - Name of the Default Account Column - this is a link to a system controlled default account
- Account parent - Summary account where the entries of this account are summarized to
- Balance sheet - If this item appears in the balance sheet report - it's identifier
- Balance sheet name - If this item appears in the balance sheet report - it's name as displayed in the report
- US 1120 Balance Sheet - If this item appears in the form 1120 (US tax balance sheet) report - it's identifier
- US 1120 Balance Sheet Name - If this item appears in the form 1120 (US tax balance sheet) report - it's name as displayed in the report
- Profit&Loss - If this item appears in the profit and loss report - it's identifier
- Profit&Loss Name - If this item appears in the profit and loss report - it's name as displayed in the report
- US 1120 Income Stmt - If this item appears in the form 1120 (US tax profit and loss) report - it's identifier
- US 1120 Income Stmt Name - If this item appears in the form 1120 (US tax profit and loss) report - it's name as displayed in the report
- Cash Flow - If this item appears in the cash flow report - it's identifier
- Cash Flow Name - If this item appears in the cash flow report - it's name as displayed in the report
- tri (only in definition csv/xls) - ?
- reference in regards to US tax return form 1120: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120.pdf