Question & Answer for Translation Project
- You are welcome to join ADempiere Translation Project!
- Wish you all success in ADempiere translation & localization!
What is Launchpad.net?
- I see you talk about launchpad.net. I look at it. It looks like a directory website, isn't it?
- Launchpad is quite like sourceforge.net. Launchpad is a unique collaboration and hosting platform for software projects.
- You can see detail in https://launchpad.net/+tour/index
- I am sorry , I don't know what is "directory website".
Relation between Launchpad & ADempiere ?
- I am still confused what is the relation between Launchpad and ADempiere translation?
- Oh, how do you think of the relation between Sourceforge.net and ADempiere?
- Like Sourceforge.net, Launchpad.net is a web site for project hosting. Just as we can build ADempiere project on Sourceforge.net, we can also build project on Launchpad.net.
- We have tried the translation on launchpad, and think it is good. so we build "ADempiere ERP Localization" for it.
- you can see detail in https://launchpad.net/+tour/translation
What is tool4po ?
- You talk about a tool "tool4po", what is it? Is it a software?
- tool4po is a tool for file format convertion between ADempiere language package and PO file format.
- tool4po is a script developed using python3.1.
- Hmm, you may call it a simple or smart software if you wish.
- you can see detail in TranslationProject#tool4po_2
How about my existing translations?
- I have a good amount of translation in PostgreSQL. How can I use it?
- It is a nice question! Of course, you can use it.
- Step 1. Export language packs from you database.
- you need export 2 packs:
- English: "en_US"
- Your local language: "**_**" (example, "zh_CN" for Chinese , "de_DE" for German)
- There are 2 methods to export:
- 1. RUN_TrlExport.bat / RUN_TrlExport.sh
- 2. Use "Translation Import/Export" window. You can refer this link for related information: Language_Pack_Installation
- you need export 2 packs:
- Step 2. Get PO files using "tool4po".
- Step 3. Upload PO files to your local language branch in launchpad.net.
How to quick start
Meanwhile i hope you can guide me on my works since i am still a newbie here.thanks.
- First, you can go around Launchpad.net, try to do some translation.
- you can visit ubuntu translation project:
- Here is Mayla:
- Here is Thai
- Second, you can search any local language teams setuped in lp.net, you can see how they are running.you can also contact them if you have any question.
- Third, you can google the user guide of launchpad.net which is written in your local language.
How to setup your own local language
> i will work on Malay translation,which is have not been establish here yet.
> Have you been contacted for Thai language? Can we start?
- Yes , you can estable Malay / Thai branch. There 3 ways to create:
- 1. Suggested way.
- ADempiere in lp.net is translated by Launchpad Translaters. https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators.
- So the best way is join this group and create your own local language. But this way may be a bit slow.
- You can refer to help for details: https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators
- 2. Quick way.
- ADempiere in lp.net is administrated by ADempiere Translation Team, https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators
- you can join this team and create your own local language.
3. Simple way.
- You can ask me to create local language for you.
- 1. It is clever to upload existing translation of your local language to Launchpad.net. So that duplicate efforts will be avoided. You can do this by using the 'get-po' function of tool4po. The Japanese team has done it beautifully.
- 2. all of latest information is updated on http://www.adempiere.com/index.php/TranslationProject . pls pay attention to it.